We took a well earned break last week from the weekly Covid19 webinar and journal club, but we are back on Thursday with 51–5+1 papers to keep us all thinking about how we use science to defeat the pandemic.
This week we are joined by an old friend of St Emlyn’s, Katrin Hruska. Katrin is an emergency physician in Sweden and past president of Swedish Society for Emergency Medicine. Our Swedish colleagues are a fantastic bunch who are working hard to build the speciality in their country. They also run a fabulous conference which I’d strongly recommend attending to gain insight into Scandinavian EM, and to learn about Swedish culture (and especially fika and saunas). It really is worth the trip in person assuming it returns post COVID.
You can join the webinar by pre-registering here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3lgoNEoUTUSTZz5ZyZ-VDw
This week’s papers to read before Thursday are.
LATE BREAKING – Just in today is the first positive result from the RECOVERY trial. Although the paper is not yet fully published we will deep dive into this and the platform trial concept on Thursday
And our retraction of the week is this from the NEJM
- 1Bar S, Lecourtois A, Diouf M, et al. The association of lung ultrasound images with COVID‐19 infection in an emergency room cohort. Anaesthesia 2020; published online June 10. DOI:10.1111/anae.15175.
- 2Wright L, Steptoe A, Fancourt D. Are we all in this together? Longitudinal assessment of cumulative adversities by socioeconomic position in the first 3 weeks of lockdown in the UK. J Epidemiol Community Health 2020; : jech-2020-214475.
- 3Whittaker E, Bamford A, Kenny J, et al. Clinical Characteristics of 58 Children With a Pediatric Inflammatory Multisystem Syndrome Temporally Associated With SARS-CoV-2. JAMA 2020; published online June 8. DOI:10.1001/jama.2020.10369.
- 4Sayre M, Barnard L, Counts C, et al. Prevalence of COVID-19 in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: Implications for Bystander CPR. Circulation 2020; published online June 4. DOI:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.048951.
- 5Lai C-C, Shih T-P, Ko W-C, Tang H-J, Hsueh P-R. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19): The epidemic and the challenges. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2020; : 105924.